The Niederwald monument and cable car – a story in itself. The 38-meter-high Niederwald monument with Germania was built to commemorate the Franco-Prussian War of 1870/71 and the re-establishment of the German Empire in the years 1877 – 1883, laying the foundations for modern tourism.
To accommodate the numerous people wanting to visit the monument, a rack-and-pinion railway was built in 1884, the forerunner of today’s cable car, which transported visitors through the vineyards to the monument.
In 1954, the cable car replaced the rack-and-pinion railway and became an equally popular means of transport – and a landmark of the town. In its anniversary year in 2004, it welcomed its 30 millionth passenger. Since 2005, visitors have been riding up to the Niederwald monument in bigger and more comfortable cabins.