Niederwald monument and lift - a story in itself in the years 1877-1883 was built the Niederwald monument with the "Germania". The 38-meter-high monument is a reminder of the french-german War of 1870/71 and the re-establishment of the German Empire. The monument was the basis for the modern tourism. In order to meet the many visitors who wanted to visit the monument, just, they built a rack railway that transported from 1884, as a precursor of today's cable car, visitors through the vineyards to the monument. 1954 replaced the cable car the railway. In the 50th anniversary year 2004, the 30 millionth passenger was counted. Since 2005, visitors hover with the new railway in larger and more comfortable cabins to the Niederwald monument.